POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Small is NOT BEAUTIFUL : Re: Small is NOT BEAUTIFUL Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Small is NOT BEAUTIFUL
From: Retsam
Date: 12 Mar 2003 12:50:05
Message: <web.3e6f6fbcf83a23f92a3ff2e70@news.povray.org>
I ran into a similar problem with some blobs I made.  I was trying to make a
generic flower (daisy), which meant squishing sphere components to make the
petals.  I ended up having to make the flower about 100 units across in
order to eliminate MOST (unfortunately not all) of the visual artifacts.  I
also ended up making the petals thicker, because thinner petals had huge
artifacts even at very large scales.  At a scale of even 5 units across,
large portions of the tips of the petals got cut off, etc.

For example, instead of scaling a sphere component by <32, 1.5, 10> to make
a thin petal, I had to scale by <32, 4, 12> to get a useable petal.